Wednesday, March 16, 2011

What's in Your Wallet?: Is it the Get-Out-of-Hell-Free Card?

By David Ryser

I wouldn’t have been a Christian without hell.  I guess it’s kind of like sex--it sells.  (Matthew Paul Turner)

In his wonderful book, Churched, Matthew Paul Turner relates how, as a child, he “got saved” every time the pastor preached about hell or the end times.  Terror of hell or the Tribulation drove this tenderhearted boy to the altar time and again to insure that his Get-Out-of-Hell-Free Card (which also conveniently doubles as a Get-Out-of-the-Tribulation Card) was still good.

I didn’t realize this card came with an expiration date.

I had occasion to think about this recently.  And I have no one to blame but myself.  I was sitting in a traditional church service…even though I know better.  The speaker was lamenting that no one preaches about hell anymore.  I’ll admit to being a bit bewildered by this statement because I wasn’t aware that we Christians have been commissioned to preach hell.  I thought we were supposed to proclaim Jesus.

Silly me.

I’ve heard many times over the years that Jesus spoke more about hell than about heaven.  I don’t know if He did or didn’t.  I never looked it up to see if this statement is true.  It may be.  It may not be.  I don’t really care.  And I’m not easily motivated to look something up…or to do anything else…when I don’t care.

And I don’t care about whether Jesus spoke more about hell than He did about heaven.  Because Jesus did not come to earth primarily to speak about either hell or heaven.

Jesus came, in great part, to proclaim the Kingdom of God (or the Kingdom of Heaven--take your pick, they’re the same thing).  And I would be willing to bet that Jesus spoke more about the Kingdom of God than He did about hell and heaven combined.

So why doesn’t anyone preach about the Kingdom of God?

Because hell sells.  Hell is good for business.  We need hell to make religion work.  We need hell to keep people in church.  Wayne Jacobsen once mused that the reason we preach on how terrible hell is (and it is a bad place, make no mistake), is because we need something worse than the church service to threaten people with so they will come to church and sit through it.

Hell is so good for the religion business that if it didn’t exist, we would invent it.

So what has all of this preaching on hell gotten us?  Well, for one thing, I’ve discovered that how a person comes to God has a great influence on how a person relates to God.  How you are born in great part determines how you will develop.  If you scare people into church, you have to keep scaring them to keep them in church.

This calls for a lot of preaching on hell and the Tribulation.  And when did Christianity become about hell and the Tribulation?  Isn’t it supposed to be about Jesus?

It’s all so confusing….

And then we compound the problem by presenting the gospel as a business proposition.  If we will accept Jesus as Lord (as if our decision makes Him anything) and say the magic prayer…a prayer that didn’t even exist 200 years ago…we will trade our old sinful lives, consisting of failure and filth, for Jesus’ righteousness and eternal bliss.

So who wouldn’t make that deal?  And what does Jesus get out of it?

Thus we enter into what is supposed to be an intimate relationship by way of a business arrangement.  I, for one, do not call business-arrangement intimacy a relationship.  I call it prostitution.

And it gets worse.

Because we married God for His money/stuff, we don’t really care whether He lives or dies.  In fact, He can be a bit of a nuisance.  So we learn…compliments of “teachers” (who don’t know Him any better than we do) to whom we pay big money to deceive us…that faith is the Bible way of getting God’s stuff without having to mess with Him.

Does this sound just a bit sordid to you?  (If not, then try this on your spouse and get back to me on how it works for you.)

And who got the brilliant idea in the first place that preaching the threat of hellfire is the best way to bring people to Jesus?  My Bible says it is the goodness of God that leads people to repentance (Romans 2:4).

You see, for the longest time I found God easy to resist.  I could resist the fire-breathing tyrant of religion.  I could resist the stern judge.  I could resist the abusive father.  I could resist the celestial scorekeeper.  I could resist a God who would just as soon throw me into hell as look at me.

But I could not resist a God who loved me so much that He would die just to hang out with me.  I could not resist a God who loved me passionately.  I could not resist a God who pursued me relentlessly.  I could not resist a God who refused to change His mind about loving me, no matter what I did.

I have no defense against this kind of love.  Do you?

Responses to this article are welcomed.  You may contact the author at drdave1545@yahoo.com

1 comment: