Thursday, June 6, 2024

Living the Dream: Partnering with God to Create a New Reality

 

By David Ryser

There are no birds in last year’s nest (Longfellow)

 It began as something of a joke. I was going through a particularly difficult time in my life. Financial challenges and reversals, coupled with an alarming decline in health, had brought me to a place of despair.  To add insult to injury, my dream of so-called “ministry” was on life support and would be dead within a few months.

 It can be hard to see that God is bringing you to a place of new life when you’re surrounded by so much that reeks of death.

 In the not-so-distant past, I would have complained to God…and perhaps complained about God to God…as one difficulty piled upon another until I felt I would be overwhelmed and crushed under the weight of them.  But I had determined early on in this season that I would never again put God on trial no matter the circumstances in my life.

 Decisions of this sort are almost always immediately challenged either by life’s hardships or the workings of the enemy…or both.

 During these times it would have been easy to succumb to the disappointment, frustration, and fear…and give vent to the discouragement and hopelessness that was building within me even as I resolved to hold fast to God, trusting in His love and faithfulness as best I could.

 And then people would ask me, “How are you?”

 “How are you?” is a rhetorical question that is asked by way of a polite greeting. A protracted answer to this question is neither expected nor desired.  Who among us has not rolled our eyes, sighed, and sought the most expeditious route of escape when a person answered our polite question with a lengthy tale of misery and woe? So, I needed a short answer to this question that would amuse me because I can deal with anything…even the foibles of the religious system…if I can laugh at it.

 So, when people would ask me, “How are you?” I began to answer, “I’m living the dream.”

 What fun! This answer would garner a plethora of differing responses on the part of the questioner.  Most people would smile and continue on with their day brightened just a bit by my unexpected expression of good cheer. A few would frown a little frown and say, “My life is more like a nightmare.” To them I would say, “Well, nightmares are dreams too.”

 Some very interesting conversations would begin this way.

 And over time what had begun as an ironic expression during a dark time became the genuine attitude of my heart.  You see, I had said “I’m living the dream” so often that I began to believe it.  I believed it as financial challenges piled up. I believed it as I walked through a time of declining physical health. And I believed it when my dream of “ministry” finally died.

 Belief is a powerful thing.

 And then, suddenly, God led me into a new adventure…and a new life…that was beyond anything I could have asked for or imagined (Eph 3:20). Within a month after the death of my old dream, I had moved 3500 miles (5800 km) to remote western Alaska, accepting a job at a regional hospital.  I moved forward with God, in part because I had learned to trust Him in a way I never had before during that dark and difficult time and partly because I had nothing/nowhere to go back to.

 “There are no birds in last year’s nest.”

 Over the course of the next 18 months, my financial situation was repaired, and my health was restored. I went along happily doing my job, loving Jesus, and passing His life and love on to whomever needed and wanted it. While walking through the hospital, the other employees would often ask me, “How are you?”

 My answer was always the same, “I’m living the dream.”

 My catchphrase became well-known over time. One day a co-worker said to me, “Please stop saying that. Everyone in the hospital is saying it” (which is doubtful since there must have been one or two…). It turns out that positivity is infectious.

 So is negativity.

 I spent 8+ years in Alaska.  I met some awesome people and had extraordinary experiences that I would never have had the opportunity to experience anywhere else (Walking on water, for example.  It’s easy to do when the ocean is frozen.). I made lasting friendships with people I treasure in my life to this day.

 And I learned that I don’t need a microphone to have a ministry.  Ministry is not about being “the sage on the stage” admired by one and all.  Ministry is about touching individual people’s lives with the love and power of Jesus and being touched by the Jesus in them.  Ministry can happen anywhere.

 So, now I’m living the retired life in a beautiful place.  I live modestly, happily, and contentedly.  I am in love with my God, my wife, and my life. So, when anyone asks me, “How are you?” my answer is always the same.

 “I’m living the dream.”

 Responses to this article are welcomed.  You may contact the author at drdave1545@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment