Thursday, June 6, 2024

Christianity Without Hell: Is It Possible?

 

By David Ryser

The fear of hell is the beginning of religion.  (Wayne Jacobsen)

 So, I was driving along, minding my own business, and I drove past a church marquee. I read the sign…even though I knew better. The sign read: JESUS: YOUR GET OUT OF HELL FREE CARD. I couldn’t decide whether to laugh, scream, or cry. Laugh, because I grew up watching Warner Brothers cartoons and the Three Stooges, and I find innocent stupidity highly amusing. Scream, because this sort of foolishness dishonors God by misrepresenting Him to people who desperately need Him. Cry, because my heart aches for the people who attend that church.

 Many years ago, I wrote concerning the fact that Jesus never used the threat of hell to scare people into heaven.  Some of the reaction to my little article was heated…and predictable. If I have learned anything since becoming a lover of Jesus, I have come to realize there are two things a religious person possesses that one should never mess with: his Rapture and his hell; or, more accurately, his interpretation of the Rapture or hell.

 And I must confess that I do occasionally enjoy stirring up religious people on these subjects because, to be honest, I don’t think very often about either one of them.

 I don’t object to the doctrines of the Rapture or hell so much as I do their application, although I find most teachings concerning the former to be absurd and those concerning the latter to be counterproductive.

 Ever since the invention of the man-made organized Christian religion…also known as post-Jesus Christianity…this religion has used the fear of hell to manipulate people to take refuge in the rituals and/or teachings of the so-called “Church” in order to escape the torments of hell and gain the blessings of heaven. This carrot-and-stick approach to spreading the gospel of Jesus has done much to fill church buildings but has done relatively little to populate the kingdom of God. And it ignores the plain fact that Jesus did not use the fear of hell to issue an invitation to inhabit heaven; in fact, no such invitation to heaven exists in the preaching and teaching of Jesus.  He did, however, invite each of us into a loving and intimate relationship with the Father.

 And the presence and person of God is what makes heaven the wonderful place it is.  Without God, heaven is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there.

 To be fair, I must admit that both Jesus and John the Baptist did threaten some people with hell. They threatened self-righteous religious people, and only self-righteous religious people, with hell.  This should be of concern to self-righteous religious “Christian” people.

 It typically isn’t, but it should be.

 The fear of hell has no place in the life of a Christian.  Paul never threatened Christians with hell to keep them in line. Not even the bad Christians. Not even the bad Christian who was having sexual relations with his stepmother. And yet, I’ve heard church leaders threaten their members…whose only sin was missing one of their church's mind-numbing, soul-sapping religious services...with eternal perdition. And then claimed their preaching was biblical.

 Stupid is as stupid does.

 So now might be a good time to take a short religious test. The results of this little test are important because only religious people were threatened with hell in the Bible. And hell is serious business. Hell is a place of separation from the presence of God created for the devil and his angels, and believed by many to be inhabited forever by both them and those who choose to join them.

 The religious test consists of just one question: If there were no hell, would you be a Christian?

 Imagine with me…and John Lennon…for a moment that there is no hell. Would you love, honor, and obey Jesus if there is no hell? Do you need the threat of hell to be a Christian?

 If you need the threat of hell to love God, you are religious. For your own sake, please do not lose your fear of hell.

 For those of you who do not need the fear of hell to love Jesus, congratulations…you are not religious, and neither were the apostles and early believers. Paul taught us that we are constrained by the love of God (2Corinthians 5:14), and not by the fear of hell. John was freed from all fear by the love of God (1John 4:18 in context); “all fear” would include the fear of hell.

 In my experience, if one utilizes the tactic of scaring people into church with the threat of hell, then one must continue scaring them with the threat of hell to keep them in church.  And it works. But it comes with a price. Because true intimacy in a relationship cannot coexist with fear. So, these wonderful people who have been scared into church wallow in fear and experience a dysfunctional relationship with a God whom they perceive to be an abusive father.

 How sad. And more than a little pathetic.

 But you may ask, “What about the fear of God?” It’s in the Bible, and many sincere believers refer to themselves as God-fearing. This is a valid question, and it’s a subject too expansive for this little article. But suffice it to say that whatever the fear of God (or the fear of the Lord, if this is your preferred terminology) is, it certainly does not refer to cowering in terror in the presence of a violent, abusive, and tyrannical deity.

 And then those who present this kind of God to us, in the next breath they tell us about the love of their Father God. It makes me wonder what kind of family these people grew up in.

 Early in my Christian walk I realized one day that I could not imagine being a Christian without a devil; or, more specifically, a fight/war against the devil. My Christianity was all about defeating the devil and advancing God’s kingdom. I was troubled by this realization, but I didn’t know what to do about it because I was too young in my faith.

 But I never forgot this incident. And as I progressed in my faith walk and fell more deeply in love with Jesus, I found I no longer needed the devil or the devil’s hell to follow Jesus. I have come to view my battle with the kingdom of darkness as much a rescue operation as an invasion…another story for another time.

 Hell? Who needs it? I’m in love with Jesus.

 Responses to this article are welcomed.  You may contact the author at drdave1545@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment