Monday, January 17, 2011

This Church has Gone to the Dogs: Literally!

By David Ryser

My karma ran over my dogma.  (Another of my all-time favorite bumper stickers)

I am sitting at my desk looking at an article about a man in Vermont who designed, and built, a church for dogs.  I am not kidding!  This church building features a steeple, stained glass windows, and pews for the furry flock.  There is a sign at the entrance to the church that reads:  “Welcome, all creeds, all breeds.  No dogmas allowed.”  I don’t quite know how to feel about all of this.  I’m told that all dogs go to heaven, but this is ridiculous.  Clever, but ridiculous.

Personally, I think the whole thing is a load of Shih Tzu.

And the church even gets visitors, many of whom are people who have lost a pet and seek comfort at the dog church.

I suppose it makes sense, in a way.  For me, attending a traditional church service in a conventional church building is for the birds.  It seems this church has gone to the dogs.

Actually, the whole traditional church scene reminds me of a book I read once.  Now, what was the name of that book?  Oh, I remember!

Animal Farm.

Responses to this article are welcomed.  You may contact the author at drdave1545@yahoo.com

2 comments:

  1. I also saw a recent news report about a church that has services for the people and their dogs. Everyone seemed to like it. Even the dogs howled along to the music. It certainly seems a little off message to me. Our focus should be on the Lord not the newest or latest gimmick to make people happy.

    I love your posts. The make me laugh every time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets hope, David, that some Pastor doesn't think of starting a church for 'sheep', eh?

    ReplyDelete