Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Plans? We Don't Need No Stinking Plans!: Living God's Adventure

By David Ryser

If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.  (Sean Bastable)

I’m not a good planner.  Never have been.  I don’t make plans.  I don’t identify short-term and long-term goals with action steps in between to make the achievement of these goals a success.  I pretty much take each day as it comes.

This trait of mine drives my friends and family crazy.  They see this lack of foresight on my part as an invitation to disaster.

As my acquaintances in the insurance business like to say:  “People don’t plan to fail; they simply fail to plan.”  I suspect this catchy little phrase has helped to sell a lot of insurance policies.  And it does have the appearance of wisdom.  I’m just no good at planning.

It seems I prefer adventure.

Now, the Bible does have much to say about prudence and the benefits of exercising wisdom.  God certainly does not place a premium on foolishness or stupidity.   But the Bible also has a lot to say about making plans...and about the pitfalls of relying upon man-made plans.

Too bad, because I could really use a good plan right about now.

You see, I’m at a crossroads in my life.  I need to make a change…a major change.  What I decide to do will alter the course of my life from now on.  And if I don’t make a decision fairly soon, life for me could become very difficult.  I think having a good plan would be a wonderful thing.

Would it?  What does the Bible say about plans?

Actually, although the Bible is high on wisdom, it seems to take a remarkably dim view of planning.  Appears to downright disapprove of it.  In at least one place, the scriptures teach that all human planning is boastful, arrogant, and evil (James 4:13-17).

But I need a plan!  What am I supposed to do?

Actually I have lots of plans.  Too many of them, in fact.  There’s nothing like a good dose of fear concerning the loss of financial or personal security to get the creative juices flowing in my mind.  When I feel threatened, my fight-or-flight instinct kicks in with a vengeance, and I come up with all sorts of plans for my deliverance.  This is biblical (Proverbs 19:21a), but it is a trap.  Because as long as I consider only my own plans, I will be operating in my own wisdom.  And what I really need is the counsel of God (Proverbs 19:21b).

If I want to make the decision that will most positively impact my future, I suppose it might be best to seek and obtain counsel from the One who knows the future.

The Bible tells me that God has thoughts toward, and plans for, His people.  Plans for good and not for evil (Jeremiah 29:11).  It assures me that even as I make my plans, God is directing my steps (Proverbs 16:9; Psalm 37:23).  This is a great comfort to me.

Because I don’t know what’s best for me.

I’m a lot like a three-year-old child in this regard.  I know very much what I want.  And I know how badly I want it.  And I know when I want it…I want it now!  But I don’t know what’s good for me.  Every loving parent and devoted older sibling knows what it is like to struggle with a small child who greatly wants to run out into traffic.  The child will make it’s desires known in no uncertain terms by crying, screaming, squirming to break free from the restraining grasp, and by other such means as we routinely employ to get our way with God and others…even as adults.

Love prevents the child from running into harm…without regard for the feelings of the child.  And so it is with God.

And I think I’m beginning to catch onto this.  Unfortunately, I’m not catching on just because I’m becoming more spiritual.  It’s because I have gotten what I wanted only to find out I wished I hadn’t gotten it.  And I’ve not gotten what I wanted and been thankful that I’d not gotten it.

And both have happened often enough so that I now realize that I don’t know what is good/best for me.  So I should defer to the counsel of the One who knows the future and who loves me like no other.

And this can be an adventure.

Because parents do not always, or even normally, explain their decisions to a three-year-old.  They shouldn’t have to.  And the child most likely wouldn’t understand the decision anyhow.  Whether the child responds positively to the instructions and actions of the parent is not usually dependent upon the child having more information...it is more often a matter of the child having a loving and trusting relationship with the parent.

And so it is with me and God.

So what should I do now?  I still need to make a decision.  My situation is not improving through my failure to address it.  Fortunately for me, Jesus has told me how to walk through this situation and every other that will ever come into my life.  In Matthew 6:24-34 (cf. Luke 12:22-31), Jesus tells me that I cannot serve two masters.  I cannot simultaneously serve both God and earthly money/riches/provision.  He tells me not to be anxious about anything that I need, especially those things that I think I will need in the future.  He counsels me that the answer to my concerns and fears is to seek God’s kingdom and His righteousness.

It is in relationship with God that we find provision for all of our needs.

That means I don’t have to worry.  I don’t have to live in fear.  I don’t need to scheme my own deliverance.  I don’t need to plan…which is good news for me because, as I’ve previously stated, I stink at planning.

So what am I going to do?  I’m going to go on an adventure with God.

I’m going to take God’s hand and walk with Him through this situation.  I will explore opportunities as I come across them, and I will ask God what He thinks of them.  I will pursue the possibilities that present themselves and trust Him that it’s best when I don’t get what I want, when I want it.  I will not put God, or His decisions, on trial.  Because I cannot say that I love God, or even know Him, if I don’t trust Him.

 I will joyfully accept whatever He supplies, or denies, to me.

And everything will be fine.

Responses to this article are welcomed.  You may contact the author at drdave1545@yahoo.com

1 comment:

  1. This was excellent. I have never thought about planning ahead as not being part of God's plan but your point was well made. I should only be concerned with God's plan and getting involved in that. I think I need a little adventure too!

    ReplyDelete