Friday, January 14, 2011

God's Courier: Finding My Place in the Kingdom of God

By David Ryser

No man can avoid what he’s meant to do.  At the moment he’s meant to do it.  (Marcus Aurelius)

Alan is my friend.  Alan is a great guy.  I am not one who trusts easily, but I trust Alan without reservation.  I would trust Alan with my life, my wallet, and my wife.  Alan pastors a church.  I have tried, on more than one occasion over the years, to become a part of Alan’s church.  But I just can’t seem to pull it off.

When I go to Alan’s church and sit in the service, it feels like I’ve got my shorts on backwards.  It’s not dangerous…it just feels weird.

So I don’t attend Alan’s church.  But I really like Alan.  We meet once in awhile and fellowship together.  We talk about the things that are dearest to our hearts…our hopes and our dreams.  I’m safe with Alan, and he speaks powerfully into my life.

And I appreciate him, and love him, more than he knows.

I am a courier.  I began working at this job toward the end of my 14 year pastoral misadventure.  The church was small, and didn’t have a lot of money to pay to a pastor, so I needed a job to provide extra income.  A courier’s job entails driving around and making pick-ups and deliveries.  It does not require a great deal of brain power.

This is a good thing, in my case.

Typically a courier has an assigned route that varies very little from day-to-day.  The job becomes routine.  This can be advantageous because the courier is able to do the job and think about something else at the same time.  Or worship.  Or pray.  Imagine having a job where you are paid to hang out with God.

No church I served ever paid me to hang out with God.

I kept the courier job after I left the pastorate.  I had a lot to think about, and the job paid the bills.  I kept the courier job when I taught at a school of ministry.  The flexible schedule, the income, and the opportunity to prepare emotionally and spiritually for the next day in the classroom made it the ideal job for me.  I kept the courier job after I left the school and the church I was attending.  I needed to heal, and God wanted to talk with me.

It’s hard to hide from God, or anyone else, in a motor vehicle.

So I’m driving on my courier route one day, and my cell phone rings.  I see that my friend Alan is calling me.  I answer the call.  Alan is very excited.  He’d heard something from God for me and is anxious to share it with me.  “I know what you are!  I know what you are!”   This was potentially very good news for me because during this season of my life, I didn’t know who or what I was.  If you had asked me what part I was in the Body of Christ, I would have answered, “The appendix.”

 “So what am I?” I asked.

“You’re a courier!”

What???!!!  I’m thinking, “Well, duh! Are you joking?  I’m driving around in a courier vehicle.  On a courier route.  Of course I’m a courier, you dunderhead!”  What I said was, “A courier?”

“Yup.  A courier.”

Alan was absolutely thrilled with this revelation.  Me…not so much.  I thanked him, somewhat insincerely, for sharing this word from God with me.  Missing the sarcasm in my voice, Alan assured me it was his pleasure and ended the call.

A courier….  For crying out loud!

  I continued driving on my route.  About 20 minutes after my conversation with Alan, God spoke clearly to me.  He didn’t say much.  Only three words.

“You’re a courier.”

And revelation exploded in my spirit.  For the next several minutes it was all I could do to capture and process the truth that was being poured into me.  And at the end of that time, I was quite content to be God’s courier from then on.

You see, a courier’s job is to pick up an item from one person and take it to another person.  Typically a courier has several items of various sorts (pouches, envelopes, packages, etc.) in the vehicle.  Each of them needs to go somewhere.  Each of them goes to someone.  And each of them must arrive at a certain time.  It is very important that these items be delivered to the right place, to the right person, and at the right time.

They must not be delivered to the wrong place, or to the wrong person, or at the wrong time.  Or all three.

The items the courier is picking up and delivering do not belong to him at any time.  They were the property of someone else when he received them, and they become the property of someone else when he delivers them.  Although they are in his custody, and he carries them, the items never belong to him.  And the courier very rarely knows exactly what is in the containers he is carrying.

Wow.  (I love the word WOW.  You can say it frontwards:  WOW.  You can say it backwards:  WOW.  You can even say it upside-down:  MOM)

In a sense, we are all God’s couriers.  We are carriers of the life, nature, love, compassion, and power of God.  We have been called to be the light of the world and the salt of the earth.  We have been commissioned to be witnesses (not to do witnessing) of God’s kingdom.  We are anointed to minister God’s life wherever we go.  The anointing God has placed on us does not belong to us.  It has been given into our custody by God to pour out onto someone else.  It is important that we take this gift from God and give it to the right person, at the right place, and at the right time.

And when we speak God’s word to someone, or minister His power to them, we many times do not know the situation in the person’s life we are speaking into or ministering to.  We just make the delivery.

We are couriers.  God’s couriers.

By the way, I recently had the opportunity to thank my friend Alan for speaking this life-changing word from God into my life.  Of course, he does not even remember the conversation.

It figures….

Responses to this article are welcomed.  You may contact the author at drdave1545@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment