Sunday, August 11, 2024

The Triune God: Holy Trinity or the Three Blind Mice?

 

By David Ryser

Three blind mice, three blind mice. See how they run, see how they run. They all ran after the farmer’s wife. She cut off their tails with a carving knife. Have you ever seen such a sight in your life as three blind mice? (Old children’s song)

 You are of purer eyes than to behold evil, And cannot look on wickedness. (Habakkuk 1:13a).

 The lady…deceased now for many years…sitting across from me on the other side of my desk was a friend of mine. She was sharing with me that she had sinned. While this was difficult for her, she was hoping to find forgiveness and comfort in her confession. What little solace she had found to this point came from an obscure scripture from the book of Habakkuk (quoted above). She said, “I know that God cannot look upon sin. So, when I was sinning, I believe He was looking away so He wouldn’t see my sin.”

 Hmmm….

 People tend to react to this little piece of a scripture verse in Habakkuk in a couple of different ways. Some fall into deep condemnation because they interpret this scripture to mean that, when they sin, God cannot bear to look at them. They are pond scum in His eyes…if He could see them…and He is thoroughly disgusted with them. Others, like this woman, believe God turns His face away from their sin so He doesn’t see it lest He think badly of them. The former view has even affected some preaching concerning Jesus’ redemptive work on the cross. According to these preachers, when Jesus uttered the words, “My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?” it was at this point that the sin of the world was placed on Jesus, and Jesus became sin (2Corinthians 5:21). The Father could not look at Him because of that sin and Jesus felt abandoned by the Father because, for the first and only time, fellowship between the first and second Person of the Godhead was broken. After sin was judged and the wrath of God against sin was poured out upon Jesus, the fellowship was restored and Jesus cried out “Father, into Your hands I commend My spirit” as He passed from this earthy life.

 I am embarrassed to admit I preached this rubbish myself many years ago.

 So, which of these two interpretations of Habakkuk 1:13a is correct?  Does God view us as lower than worms because of our sin to the point where He cannot even bear to look at us and fleeing from us to get away from us? Or does He turn His face from our sin so He can continue to deal redemptively with us without being overly disgusted by us?

 Actually…neither.

 A reading of Habakkuk 1:13a, in context, reveals the author of the book has neither of these thoughts in mind when he wrote it; in fact, quite the opposite is true as Habakkuk goes on to say that God watches the actions of wicked people who oppress the godly and the prophet is offended because God seemingly does nothing to correct this injustice.

 Have you ever felt like this? I have.

 So God does, in fact, see our sin and yet always acts redemptively in our lives to restore the temporary break in fellowship…not relationship…with Him. Need proof? Let’s go back to the Garden of Eden.

 In the 3rd chapter of the book of Genesis, the Bible records how Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. Their eyes were opened to know good and evil. They realized they were naked and felt shame. To cover their shame, they made aprons of fig leaves to cover their physical nakedness and hid among some trees in fear when they heard God walking in the garden during the cool of the day. And then God called out to Adam.

 “Where are you?”

 This question was not asked for God’s benefit. God knew where Adam was, and He knew about the ridiculous choice of evening wear Adam and Eve were sporting. The question was asked for Adam’s benefit. He wanted both Adam and Eve to know that He was looking for them.

 If Adam had believed God could not look upon him after he had sinned, then why did Adam hide? Why didn’t God hide?

 You see, if God cannot bear to look upon sin…and if Adam has sinned…this story is backwards. God should be hiding from Adam, and Adam should be looking for God. But that’s not what happened. Instead of hiding Himself from Adam and Eve, God is actively seeking for them.  He wants to be with them and to have a conversation with them.  This will be a difficult conversation to be sure, as their sin has dire consequences for themselves and all of creation, but God is not abandoning them. On the contrary, God is already setting in place a plan of redemption that will ultimately restore all of humanity and all of creation to its original state.

 God sees our sin. He’s not pleased by it, but He sees it. And God is bigger than our sin. He is not disgusted by us to the point of being unable to look upon us. He is not frightened by our sin. He does not flee in terror and hide quivering from us and our sin; but rather, He seeks us out and offers forgiveness freely if we simply acknowledge our sin, confess it, and receive His mercy and cleansing (1John 1:9).

 So, what would we be well-advised to do the next time we sin? And make no mistake about it, there will be a next time. I can only speak for myself when I say that I have determined not to do what Adam did when I have sinned and God is desiring to have a conversation with me about it. Instead of running away from God and trying to hide my sin from Him…and hide myself from Him…I plan to run toward Him. As fast as possible. Even though it’s hard. Even though my shame concerning my behavior makes everything within me want to run as far as I can and hide as well as I can to avoid the pain of dealing with my sin. Even though I would like to avoid the upcoming conversation about my sin.

 Because God sees me. Yes, He sees my sin; but, more importantly, He sees me. In all my failures and shortcomings, He sees me. And He’s seeking me out because He wants nothing more in that moment than to work redemptively in my life so our fellowship can be restored, and I will be free once again to enjoy a sense of His love and presence untainted by a sense of guilt and shame. I have lived for an extended period…even as a Christian…without a sense of God’s love and presence, and I never want to live like that again.

 God sees me. The triune God is a Holy Trinity, not the three blind mice. And I’m grateful.

 Responses to this article are welcomed.  You may contact the author at drdave1545@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment