Monday, April 20, 2009

Vessels of Gold: Refined in the Fire

By David Ryser

My personal “dark night of the soul” began with an unthinking moment of religious fervor.

I had just left the church I had attended for a number of years.  Leaving was painful for me.  I had departed under less than ideal circumstances.  I was disappointed, hurt, and angry.

And self-righteous.

Over the next few weeks, I began to sort through the rubble of the situation in an attempt to process and resolve what had happened.  I felt that I had been unfairly treated.  I felt abused.  I wanted vindication.

So I did what anyone else in my position would do…I prayed.

I prayed, “Father, this was wrong.  I pray that you would reveal the hearts of all those involved.”  Then, in a moment of religious zeal, I added, “including mine.”

Oops!

Why does God answer some prayers so quickly when other prayers seem to go unanswered?  I suspect, in this case, it was because He had waited so long for me to pray this prayer the first time.  He didn’t want to wait for me to pray it again.  He had wanted to show me my heart for a long time.

And now He had my permission.

Over the next few weeks, months, and years God revealed my heart to me.  And I didn’t like what I saw.  He not only revealed my unrighteous actions and attitudes, but He revealed my motives as well.  He revealed my motives by doing something He very rarely does.

God allowed me to see the motives of others.

For the next 6 months or so, I could not only see the actions of other people, I could also see their motives.  I would observe someone’s actions, and God would say, “Did you see that?”  I would answer, “Yes.”  Then He would ask, “Do you know why they did that?”  Again I would answer, “Yes.”  And He would say, “Good.  Now let Me show you how this works in you.”

And He did.  And it hurt.

I’m not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, but it took only a couple of times for me to figure out what was happening.  So I was ready the next time God asked me, “Did you see that?”  I answered, “No!”  He said, “Well, if you had seen that, here’s what you would have seen.  And here’s how this works in you.”

You have to get up pretty early in the morning to fool God.

In 2 Timothy 2:20, 21, Paul tells us that there are a variety of vessels in a house.  And the master of the house uses them all.  But some vessels are more useful than others.  A wooden bowl is useful for common household purposes.  You can use it to serve snacks while watching football with your buddies.  A silver bowl is used for formal dining occasions with family and friends.  A gold bowl is used when entertaining esteemed guests or royalty.

“I want to be a gold bowl!”  Don’t we all?  But are we willing to pay the price?

A wood bowl is made without heat.  Fire would destroy this bowl.  A plastic bowl is molded using a low level of heat.  A stainless steel vessel is forged in the fire…but it might come out as a chamber pot.  Vessels of silver and gold are refined in fire until there is no impurity left in them.  Then they are carefully crafted.  When this process is complete they are valuable, prized, and utilized for honorable purposes.

Do you still want to be a gold bowl?

All of these “bowls” are in God’s house.  They are all a part of His Kingdom.  God accepts all of them.  He uses all of them.

You don’t have to go through the fire.

You don’t have to experience the pain of refining if you don’t want to.  God will still love you.  He will still use you.  You will go to heaven when you die.

That’s good news…if the Kingdom of God is all about you.  And not about Him.

If you want to be a vessel of gold, you will go through God’s refining fire.  You will not be allowed to live like other people…even like other Christians.  You will not get away with attitudes and behaviors that others seem to get away with.  The refining process won’t be very much fun.  There will be pain.

Do you still want to be a gold bowl?  How badly do you want it?

You will be misunderstood.  People will accuse you of being a spiritual snob.  They will criticize you for your “holier than thou” attitude, even though you don’t feel this way at all.  You will feel like the greatest of sinners as God continues to reveal your heart to you and burns out the impurities with His fire (Matthew 3:11, 12).  People will attack you to cover up their jealousy and feelings of conviction.

What a great way to live!  Really!

Because eventually the life of Christ will shine through the ashes of your life.  You will come out of the refiner’s fire.  And your life will shine with the reflection of His glory.  You will no longer hear the unkind words of others.  Your ears will be attuned only to your Master’s “Well done.”

You will be a vessel of gold.

Responses to this article are welcomed.  You may contact the author at drdave1545@yahoo.com

3 comments:

  1. The Holy Spirit wants to bring us into His rest. This means to cease to do the things ourselves. The things from Him come simply, they are not produced. What we can produce is not pleasing to God.

    He accepts only what His Son is doing in us and through us. It is true that before doing something through us, He does something profound in us; in any case, we shouldn’t be impatient; we are His workmanship and He makes us. When we are ready, we will express Him totally.

    While a vessel is being made, it does not have many things to do, only to let itself on the potter’s hand. It does not have anything to do even when it is ready, because, anyway, it will be used only how the potter wants to use it (His plan is already made, unlike the plans of people…). Then, the Potter fills it with His Living Word that He gives for the life of the world.

    Then, which is our role?

    None, if He helps us even to wish to be a vessel that will contain Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 Corinthians 4:7: We have this treasure in clay / earth vessels, so that this extraordinary power maybe of God and not of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, great message!!! Much-appreciated and much-needed! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete