Sunday, April 12, 2009

Learning Obedience: Embracing Suffering

By David Ryser

“Teach him what?”

These words were spoken to me by my father when I was about six years old.  He was looking at me as if I’d just grown a third eye.  I suspect he looked at me like this a lot when I was growing up.

But I particularly remember this incident because it later helped me to understand a certain scripture and apply it to my life.

We were at the supper table.  My parents were discussing the family dog.  This dog had been brought into our home to be trained as a seeing-eye dog.  My dad had agreed to train the dog.  The dog would eventually serve a blind child.  So the dog was placed with our family to be trained and become accustomed to children.

His training had hit a snag.

The dog had developed a bad habit.  Nothing my dad tried had broken this habit.  When anyone would drive in or out of our driveway, the dog would chase after the car.

Chasing cars is an undesirable quality in a seeing-eye dog.

I listened to my parents discuss this problem for awhile.  Finally I spoke up with typical six-year-old overstatement, “I hope that dog gets run over and killed!  That would teach him!”  My dad got the strangest look on his face.

“Teach him what?”

We don’t learn lessons by dying physically.  Usually, we learn by living.  The only way the dog would become a seeing-eye service animal was to learn obedience.  If he failed, he might make a good family pet.  But he would never fulfill his higher purpose.

If we are ever going to walk in our God-ordained destiny, we must learn obedience.  And learning obedience involves suffering.

According to Hebrews 5:8, Jesus learned obedience through the things He suffered.  I don’t think this refers only--or even primarily--to the cross.  If a person is destined to die on a cross, it seems to me that he would do well to learn obedience beforehand.  He would be trained by life experiences in preparation for fulfilling his ultimate calling.

So how did Jesus suffer in life?  And how did His suffering prepare Him to be obedient to the call of God?

A good part of Jesus’ suffering originated from the circumstances surrounding His birth.  Joseph and Mary were not married when Jesus was conceived.  In the eyes of the people in His hometown, Jesus was an illegitimate child.  Imagine the scorn and ridicule Jesus and His family had to endure.

But we don’t need to merely speculate.  An understanding of the Bible and culture gives us plenty of clues concerning Jesus’ sufferings.

In Luke 2:41-50, we read about an incident in Jesus’ life that occurred when He was twelve years old.  This would have been about the time of His bar-mitzvah.  I am told that in Jesus’ day, a part of this ritual involved the father parading his son through the streets of the village and proclaiming, “This is my son!  I’m proud of him!”

But this parade was reserved only for legitimate sons.

Imagine Jesus’ pain.  And the pain of His parents, both of whom knew the truth concerning His birth.  It wasn’t fair!  It wasn’t just!  It was wrong!

But it happened anyway.

So now Jesus is in the temple at Jerusalem beginning to do the work He was called to do (Luke 2:49).  “I must be about my Father’s business” is a particularly poignant statement when we are reminded that Jesus had no inheritance in Joseph’s home.  Ordinarily the eldest son would inherit the family business and be responsible to provide for his family upon the death or incapacitation of his father.

Jesus was the eldest son.  But Jesus was illegitimate.  He was denied His inheritance, which then fell to the next eldest son.

Ouch!  Wounding!  Pain!  Suffering!  And it wasn’t even true!

Jesus left Jerusalem with Joseph and Mary, and went back to Nazareth.  He submitted to their authority.  He worked at a business He would not inherit.  And He was denied the opportunity to begin His heavenly Father’s business for 18 years!

Have you been denied the opportunity to fulfill your God-given calling because you were under authority?  Was it painful?  Did it hurt?  Did you chafe with frustration?  Did it make you bitter?

Who needs this?  Jesus did.  So do we.

Jesus was denied the father’s public pronouncement of approval at His bar-mitzvah.  But He received it at His baptism.  “You are My beloved Son; In You I am well pleased” (Luke 4:22b, and again in Matthew 17:5b).  He was denied His inheritance, but was also freed from the responsibility of it.  When the time came to begin His earthly ministry, Jesus was not stuck working in a carpenter’s shop.  He was free to do the Father’s will.

And He received an inheritance from His heavenly Father (Hebrews 1:4).

The things Jesus suffered did not destroy Him.  They prepared Him and positioned Him to fulfill His destiny.

The same is true for us.

The subject of God-ordained suffering--and its benefits--was a common topic of apostolic preaching and teaching (Acts 4:22; James 1:2-4; 5:10, 11; 1 Peter 1:6-8--among others).  It is not so common in the tripe that passes for preaching and teaching in the modern American Church.

How can we develop godly character and minister God’s power if we won’t embrace suffering?

Suffering is not evil.  It is uncomfortable.  It is unpleasant.  It is painful.  But if we embrace it, suffering will act as a tool of God to make us what we are destined to be.  And it will enable us to do what we have been called to do.

Just like Jesus.

Responses to this article are welcomed.  You may contact the author at drdave1545@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment