Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Coming to God as a Child (Part 2): Pick Me Up!

By David Ryser

I was on my way to take a shower.  I had no idea I was about to learn something about the Kingdom of God.  And I didn’t know that an eight-month-old child would be my teacher.

I was in a hurry.  I was supposed to leave the house in a few minutes, and I needed to take a quick shower before dressing to go out.  As I was going down the hall to the shower, I noticed my grandson playing in the hallway near the bathroom door.  He was playing with a toy and was quite focused on what he was doing.

I smiled when I saw him playing with the toy.  I had bought it for him.  I had given it to him for his enjoyment.  I was pleased to see him having so much fun with it.  Not wanting to disturb him, I went to step around him and go on my way.

As I tried to go past him, he saw me.  What he did then changed how I viewed my relationship with God.

When he saw me, he got the biggest grin on his face.  He was so excited!  He put down the toy.  Then he put his little hands up in the air.

What do you suppose happened next?

Even though I was in a hurry, I stopped.  I picked that little guy up in my arms.  I tickled him and played with him.  After a few minutes, he tired of me.  I put him back down on the floor.  He went back to playing with his toy.  I went on to take my shower.

And I learned something about God.

In the Gospels, we real of numerous occasions where Jesus is interrupted while traveling or teaching.  In every case, Jesus stops doing what He is doing and gives His attention to the person who interrupted Him.  He never rebukes anyone for bothering Him.  And He doesn’t ignore someone who is attempting to get His attention.  He always stops and ministers to them.

What if they had not interrupted Him?

I imagine He would have gone on His way to wherever He was going.  Or He would have continued to do what He was doing.  It’s not as if Jesus didn’t have anywhere to go or anything to do.

But He always stopped when someone noticed Him and wanted His attention.

I’ve had opportunity to talk with people who say they want Jesus to come into their lives and their churches.  Many are frustrated because they don’t sense the presence of God in their daily lives and in their church services.  This confuses me a bit because Jesus always stops when someone wants His attention.

Reading the Bible and my life experiences have taught me that Jesus always comes when (and where) He is wanted.  And He always stays where He is accommodated.

Getting Jesus to come into your life or church is relatively easy.  You just have to want Him to come.  He always stops when someone notices Him and wants His attention.  I’ve heard people say something like, “God is too busy to pay attention to me.”

Is He?  Jesus was busy every time He stopped for someone.  But He stopped.

I suspect we have this thing backwards.  (Imagine that!)  I don’t think Jesus is too busy for us.  I think we’re too busy for Him.

Consider my grandson.

If he had continued playing with his toy when I went to go past him, I would have continued on my way to the shower without disturbing him.  I wouldn’t have been upset with him.  But we wouldn’t have had a couple of minutes together enjoying one another, either.

I wonder….

Could it be that we are so busy playing with the “toys” God had given to us that we don’t have time for Him?  Are we so focused on His blessings that we don’t notice Him walking by?  Worse yet, do we notice Him, but would rather play with our “toys” than spend a few minutes with Him?

Even an eight-month-old child knows better.

So we have a decision to make.  If we want to spend time with Jesus, we simply need to put down our “toys” and ask for His attention.

The “toys” will still be there after He has gone.

Responses to this article are welcomed.  You may contact the author at drdave1545@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment