Sunday, August 1, 2010

Ellis' Question: "How do I Fall in Love with Jesus?"

By David Ryser

“How do I fall in love with Jesus?”  The huge mountain of a man asking the question was genuine and sincere, his eyes pleading.

I considered my answer carefully.

I was in Barrow, Alaska visiting with a pastor and his wife who are friends of mine, and holding a series of meetings at their wonderful church full of some of my favorite people on earth.  We had been considering the subject of loving Jesus and having an intimate relationship with God.  Ellis approached me after one of the services.

“How do I fall in love with Jesus?”

Normally I am not a fan of “how to” questions concerning the things of God.  I am far more concerned with “Who” (God) rather than “how” (methodology).  Typically those who ask “how” are seeking a shortcut or a formula to operate in God’s kingdom rather than desiring an intimate relationship with the King.

This was different.

Ellis, an Inupiat Eskimo (as is about 90% of Barrow’s population), had been a Christian for less than two months.  Prior to his becoming a Christian, he was a notorious evildoer in the community.  I suspect that his behavior, coupled with his imposing and intimidating physical presence, caused fear in those who encountered him.  His conversion had caused no small stir in the town.

“How do I fall in love with Jesus?”

Ellis was a changed man.  He was hungry to learn about God and to know Him.  He was reading the Bible, exposing himself to good Christian teaching, and constantly amazed his pastor (and me) with insightful questions concerning the things he was learning.  His radically changed behavior was a testimony of his genuine repentance and conversion.

But he wanted more.

Ellis was not content just to learn about God.  He longed to know Him.  Deeply.  Personally.  Intimately.  He wanted to experience God.

“How do I fall in love with Jesus?”

There is no pat answer to this question.  Systems and formulas don’t work so well when it comes to relationships.  Bookstores are full of “how to” books on relationships precisely because they do not work.  Relationships are living, dynamic, and subjective.  Formulas are not.  The Bible has much to say about the necessity of loving God, but then portrays men and women having unique relationships with Him.

“How do I fall in love with Jesus?”

Ellis stood there.  The look in his eyes conveyed a desperate desire for an answer that would provide him with the key to unlock the mystery of experiencing a loving, intimate relationship with God.

And I did have an answer for him…of sorts.

Would my answer offend him?  Would it frustrate him?  Confuse him?  Would he understand it?  Would it help him?

“How do I fall in love with Jesus?”

I spoke finally, fervently hoping God would “breathe on” my answer and give Ellis the guidance he was seeking.

What was my brilliant answer, you ask?

“I don’t know.  How do you fall in love with anyone?  You learn about them and spend time with them.  Then, one day, you discover that you are in love with them.”

Ellis considered my answer, and then accepted it.  He was not discouraged.  Rather, he was more determined than ever to seek God.  I wondered how his search would end.

I didn’t have long to wait.

A few days later, on a Sunday morning, Ellis walked into the church building prior to the service.  He was anxious to tell me his news.  In the wee hours of the previous night, he had encountered God in a personal and intimate way.

Ellis was head-over-heels in love with Jesus!

He had experienced Jesus.  Not just as a Savior, but as a Lover.  He now knew and loved the One he had met less than two short months ago.  A look into his eyes and beaming face confirmed for me the truth of his words.

I rejoiced with Ellis.  His church family rejoiced with him and affirmed him.  As you might imagine, we had quite a church service that Sunday morning.

The next day I was at a restaurant with Ellis, his pastor, and a pastor from another church in town.  His pastor introduced Ellis to the other pastor and mentioned that Ellis had recently “met the Lord.”  I’ll never forget what Ellis said next:  “I met Jesus six weeks ago, but I fell in love with Him on Saturday night.”

Wow.

I left Barrow the next day.  Ellis was at the airport to see me off.  I communicate with him on a regular basis.  I’m excited about his relationship with God and about the wonderful plan God has for the rest of his life.  I am confident he will be an effective laborer in God’s kingdom because he is more than just a soldier and worker for God.

He is also a friend and lover of His.

I suspect Ellis is in for quite an adventure.  His Christian wife and his family don’t know quite what to make of him yet.  This husband and father is “clothed and in his right mind” spiritually speaking, and it is a big adjustment for those closest to the “new” Ellis.  But I’m confident he will be just fine in the end.  His pastor is mentoring him.  His church is loving and encouraging him.

And one day I’m hoping Ellis can accompany me on a ministry trip and tell the story about the night he fell in love with Jesus.

Responses to this article are welcomed.  You may contact the author at drdave1545@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment